The Unauthorized Guide to Doing Business the Simon Cowell Way
From a job in the mail room at EMI Music Publishing Cowell rose through the ranks swiftly and after becoming a record producer at the firm, left to set up his own company. Following the collapse of his first business and a time at BMG, Cowell went on to pioneer the Popstars TV talent show, and subsequently co-produce Pop Idol and more recently The X Factor. As a music producer he has achieved sales of over 25 million albums, over 70 top 30 records, and 17 Number 1 singles. His band 'Westlife' has achieved an impressive 10 Number 1 hits alone.
The Sunday Times Rich List recently estimated that he earned £33.5m in one year alone, thanks to the global success of the 'Pop Idol' brand.
The 10 Secrets of the International Music Mogul are:
* Work Your Way Up - get to know your industry
* Don't Be Defeated - how to overcome set backs in business
* Grab Opportunities - respond to the market
* Know Your Market - and consistently produce the product they want
* Think Differently - take your product and spin it in different formats
* Get Your Name on the Credits - and reap the rewards
* Don't Look Back - learn from missed opportunities but keep moving forwards
* Say it How It Is - straight talking saves time in business
* Build a Personal Brand - and be respected for what you do well if nothing else
* Use Your Contacts - there is no shame to pulling strings in business