Ear and Temporal Bone Surgery
Improve the quality of patient care with this essential reference on avoiding risks and managing complicationsPublic scrutiny concerning the possible risks and unfavorable outcomes of ear and temporal bone surgical procedures makes this new book a timely reference for all otologists, neurotologists, and middle ear and skull base surgeons seeking ways to improve care and safety for their patients.
Ear and Temporal Bone Surgery: Minimizing Risks and Complications is the first book devoted to enhancing the quality of the result while addressing the important issues of error prevention and complication management in otologic and skull base surgery. Written by internationally recognized experts in the field, this text presents standards of care as well as an in-depth review of relevant diagnostic modalities and critical preoperative considerations that will help clinicians plan safe and effective procedures.
It covers the range of surgeries to treat hearing loss, vertigo, infection, and tumors of the temporal bone, skull base, and facial nerve. A section of the book also discusses the newer trends of otoendoscopy and inner ear perfusion, implantable devices, intratympanic therapy for hearing loss, and more.Highlights:
- Extensive, step-by-step description of common ear and temporal bone surgical techniques with a special focus on safety
- Thorough discussion of preoperative investigations such as imaging
- Detailed coverage of indications and contraindications, testing procedures, alternative treatments, monitoring techniques, and more
- Nearly 300 images and illustrations vividly convey key concepts
- Concise tables outline problems, prevention, and treatment, perfect for quick review on how to avoid errors and manage complications when they occur
Middle ear and skull base surgeons and clinicians in otology and neurotology cannot afford to be without the wealth of information provided in this text. Ear and Temporal Bone Surgery is also extremely useful for the resident preparing for oral board exams. Richard J. Wiet, M.D., F.A.C.S., is Professor of Clinical Otolaryngology and Neurosurgery, Department of Otolaryngology and Neurosurgery, Feinberg School of Medicine, Northwestern University, and Attending Physician, Northwestern Memorial Hospital and Hinsdale Hospital, Chicago, Illinois.