Illustrated Building Glossary
The Illustrated Building Glossary provides the professional user - architect, engineer, builder - with handy visual reference. Compiled from the author's own drawings and diagrams, each labelled in detail with specific technical terms, the guide follows the basic make-up of a building and its elements, to demonstrate basic technical terms as used in the construction industry.
Roxanna McDonald's book is an essential working tool for students and a useful reference for professionals in the architecture/construction industry, working in the UK and overseas. It stands out through its innovative approach to technical learning by using an image vocabulary in preference to the abstract word in order to convey information. This gives the book an all round appeal.
- Estate agents and surveyors will find the visual checklist useful when describing or analysing building aspects
- Conveyancing lawyers will find referring to the book helpful when drawing up property deeds or dealing with schedules of dilapidation
- Students using the book will be guided by the content's logical progression through the building process and, by studying pictorial examples, will find it very easy to learn the appropriate technical terms
- Foreign building professionals working in an English-speaking country will find this book a helpful, easy-to-use communication tool
- English architects working abroad can use it as an `instant communication' visual dictionary
Roxanna McDonald is a practising architect with a special interest in building conservation. She is currently living and working in France where she is involved in developing the role of the historic buildings as sustainable resources through new uses. She also teaches and coordinates exchanges of building specialists within the European Community.
- Visual checklist will be useful for describing or analysing building aspects
- Content makes a logical progression through the building process
- Good communication tool for foreign building professionals