A Companion to Ethnicity in the Ancient Mediterranean
A Companion to Ethnicity in the Ancient Mediterranean presents a comprehensive collection of essays contributed by Classical Studies scholars that explore questions relating to ethnicity in the ancient Mediterranean world.
* Covers topics of ethnicity in civilizations ranging from ancient Egypt and Israel, to Greece and Rome, and into Late Antiquity
* Features cutting-edge research on ethnicity relating to Philistine, Etruscan, and Phoenician identities
* Reveals the explicit relationships between ancient and modern ethnicities
* Introduces an interpretation of ethnicity as an active component of social identity
* Represents a fundamental questioning of formally accepted and fixed categories in the field