Russian Politics and Society
Having been fully revised and updated to reflect the considerable changes in Russia over the last decade, the fifth edition of this classic text builds on the strengths of the previous editions to provide a comprehensive and sophisticated analysis of Russian politics and society.
This new edition continues the work of updating and revising, as well as incorporating the latest debates about Russian politics and analysing recent institutional and political developments. Above all, it will take into account the 2011-12 electoral cycle, and examine the prospects of the President elected at the end of the process. New to this edition:
- An evaluation of Medevev's leadership and the country's political performance under him & Putin
- More analysis of economic performance including discussion of the energy sector and pipeline politics
- Changes in Russian foreign policy since EU enlargement and Obama's Presidency as well as its relations with post-Soviet states
- Updated election results and demographic, social, ethnic/national statistics to include results of the 2010 census
- Changes in the party system, to electoral legislation and to the composition of parliament as well as the relationship between the executive and legislature
- More material on Georgia, Chechnya and North Caucasus
- Debates over the question of democracy in Russia today, the nature of the system, and its future prospects
Written in an accessible and lively style, this book is packed with detailed information on the central debates and issues in Russia’s difficult transformation. This makes it the best available textbook on the subject and is essential reading for all those concerned with the fate of Russia, and with the future of international society.