A Dictionary of Varieties of English
A Dictionary of Varieties of English presents a comprehensive listing of the distinctive dialects and forms of English spoken throughout the contemporary world.
* Provides an invaluable introduction and guide to current research trends in the field
* Includes definitions both for the varieties of English and regions they feature, and for terms and concepts derived from a linguistic analysis of these varieties
* Explores important research issues including the transportation of dialects of English, the rise of 'New Englishes', sociolinguistic investigations of various English-speaking locales, and the study of language contact and change.
* Reflects our increased awareness of global forms of English, and the advances made in the study of varieties of the language in recent decades
* Creates an invaluable, informative resource for students and scholars alike, spanning the rich and diverse linguistic varieties of the most widely accepted language of international communication