Dictatorship in South America
Dictatorship in South America explores the experiences of Brazilian, Argentine and Chilean experience under military rule.
* Presents a single-volume thematic study that explores experiences with dictatorship as well as their social and historical contexts in Latin America
* Examines at the ideological and economic crossroads that brought Argentina, Brazil and Chile under the thrall of military dictatorship
* Draws on recent historiographical currents from Latin America to read these regimes as radically ideological and inherently unstable
* Makes a close reading of the economic trajectory from dependency to development and democratization and neoliberal reform in language that is accessible to general readers
* Offers a lively and readable narrative that brings popular perspectives to bear on national histories