Classroom Integration of Type II Uses of Technology in Education
Develop new strategies for using computers in the classroom
Educators have talked about using information technology to improve teaching since the beginning of the modern computer movement but true integration remains an elusive goal?for most. Classroom Integration of Type II Uses of Technology in Education finds teachers who have managed to take advantage of the sophistication, power, and affordability of today’s technology to develop new and better strategies for learning, despite the absence of an effective institutional infrastructure. This unique book reviews effective Type II teaching applications and software used at all educational levels, including Lego/Logo technologies, idea technologies, graphics software, laptop computers, and handheld computers.
Information technology in schools has failed to fulfill its considerable potential because without a
widespread instructional support system, computers are generally poorly used and not integrated meaningfully into classroom activities. But some educators have still been able to implement Type II applications of information technology in their educational settings. Classroom Integration of Type II Uses of Technology in Education looks at their innovative methods of using computers to bring about more effective teaching?and learning.
Classroom Integration of Type II Uses of Technology in Education examines:
- computer activities of grade 1-5 students using Lego/Logo technologies
- using Kid-Pix graphics software for creative activities
- the Technology Integration Assessment Instrument (TIAI)
- gender disparity in computer-oriented problem solving
- a three-tiered, idea-technology classification system
- pre-service teacher preparation
- assistive technology definitions, legislation, and implementation issues
- lesson plans and document techniques for laptop computers
- an action/instructional model for using handheld wireless computers in the classroom Classroom Integration of Type II Uses of Technology in Education is an invaluable resource for academics working in information technology and education, and for K-12 teachers and administrators at all levels.