Cartularium Monasterii de Rameseia
Ramsey Abbey, Cambridgeshire, was founded in 969 and rapidly became of one the richest and most important Benedictine houses in the country. It was famous for its school and library, and a thriving market town grew up around it, despite its isolated position in the Fens. The cartulary contains a range of legal, financial and ecclesiastical documents dating from 974 to 1436, although the greater part was compiled in the fourteenth century. It is particularly important for the study of manorial and economic history (and the abbey's twelfth-century chronicle is also reissued in this series). This three-volume edition was published between 1884 and 1893. Volume 3 contains documents 510–688. It includes material relating to the abbey's possessions in St Ives and throughout East Anglia, from the Pipe Rolls and other inquisitions as well as the cartulary. English side-notes to the Latin text and a comprehensive index to all three volumes are also provided.