An Introduction to Classical Rhetoric
An anthology of primary texts in translation, An Introduction to Classical Rhetoric offers an overview of the social, cultural, and intellectual factors that influenced the development and growth of rhetoric during the classical period.
* Uses primary source material to analyze rhetoric from the Sophists through St. Augustine
* Provides an in-depth introduction to the period, as well as introductions to each author and each selection
* Includes study guides to help students develop multiple perspectives on the material, stimulate critical thinking, and provide starting points for dialogue
* Highlights include Gorgias's Palamedes, Antiphon's Truth, Isocrates' Helen, and Plato's Protagoras
* Each selection is followed by suggested writing topics and a short list of suggested additional readings.