Reading Romantic Poetry
Reading Romantic Poetry introduces the major themes and preoccupations, and the key poems and players of a period convulsed by revolution, prolonged warfare and political crisis.
* Provides a clear, lively introduction to Romantic Poetry, backed by academic research and marked by its accessibility to students with little prior experience of poetry
* Introduces many of the major topics of the age, from politics to publishing, from slavery to sociability, from Milton to the mind of man
* Encourages direct responses to poems by opening up different aspects of the literature and fresh approaches to reading
* Discusses the poets' own reading and experience of being read, as well as analysis of the sounds of key poems and the look of the poem on the page
* Deepens understanding of poems through awareness of their literary, historical, political and personal contexts
* Includes the major poets of the period, Blake, Wordsworth, Coleridge, Byron, Shelley, Keats, Burns and Clare --as well as a host of less familiar writers, including women