Catalogue of the Syriac MSS. in the Convent of S. Catharine on Mount Sinai
The sisters Agnes Lewis (1843-1926) and Margaret Gibson (1843-1920) were pioneering biblical scholars who became experts in a number of ancient languages. Travelling widely in the Middle East, they made several significant discoveries, including one of the earliest manuscripts of the Four Gospels in Syriac, a dialect of Aramaic, the language probably spoken by Jesus himself. Their chief discoveries were made in the Monastery of St Catherine on Mount Sinai. This work is a list of the monastery's manuscripts in Syriac, compiled by Agnes Lewis in 1893 and first published in 1894. Written in English and Modern Greek for use as a tool for scholars and for the monks themselves, this fascicule provides a careful document of the monastery's Syriac pages, their physical state and content. This text will be of great interest to Syriac scholars and those interested in Middle Eastern monastic and broader Christian history.